Sunday, October 14, 2007

Wicked Karma, part 2

Earlier this evening I set off to the grocery store. My sole mission - a small onion and some garlic.

Then I saw an orange and thought I could take it for lunch tomorrow. Then I remembered Wilson was out of sugar. The I saw one of those plastic floppy cutting boards and figured we could use one. Then I wanted a diet coke.

Okay, so finally I get to the check out counter - my six items and I were in the "15 or Fewer Items" line. Behind a woman with 17 items (yes, I counted). This, of course, annoyed me. Then, she she added the straw that broke this camel's back. A bag of Dorito's from the impulse buy section.

Are you still with me? That's 18 items. In the 15 or Fewer Line!! She, in a neighborly way, looked at me and smiled. All I could hear was "I know I have 18 items, but I'm in front of you and you can't do anything about it because the cashier just scanned my first box of Betty Crocker chocolate cake mix." So I looked at her. Looked at her items. Looked at the sign that said "15 or Fewer Items," then looked right at her.

She knew I meant business.

So she bagged her items and carried them out of the store. All 18 of them.

So I get up the cashier and she begins scanning my items (my 6 items, may I remind you). Then (this is where the karma kicks in) ...

I didn't have my wallet.

So along with my onion, my garlic, my sugar, my cutting board, my orange and diet coke, I had me a nice slice of humble pie.

1 comment:

The Archivist said...

Ultimate karma would have been the woman being behind you with the 18 items and after your mini-stare down, you reach for your non-existent wallet.

I chuckled on this one.